Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Waiting Game

A year ago today, we were waiting.

Noelle's due date was May 15, 2012.  But due to Josh's work schedule and some important events at church, I was bound and determined for that little baby not to come out until at least the early morning hours of May 21.  I know not many women would ever wish to be a week late, but I was still very comfortable up until the actual the labor process.  We had loads of people praying and praying that she would wait that extra week. 

She was a very obedient child in the womb :)

Then obedience turned into stubbornness. When we finally hit May 21, I realized just how much of a ticking time bomb I was.  I had 4 other friends that had all been due in May/early June. Per our due date orders, I was #2! By May 21, I was the only one without a baby in my arms. The waiting for labor to start is pretty incomparable to any other experience in my life.

Each night I would go to bed hoping and praying - maybe tonight! And each morning I was sorely disappointed that nothing had happened. I really really didn't want to be induced, because lots of first time moms don't have the best experience with it (there are plenty who do). Luckily my doctor was more than supportive of me going as natural as possible, and would only do anything if I begged.

My mom came in town that Monday (may 21), and we used that time to do anything and everything we could think of to be 100% ready for Noelle's arrival. We also took ridiculously long walks each evening to try and force the child out. Nothing, nothing, nothing worked. And by the end of the week, we had completely run out of things to do and prepare for.

Looking back though, the waiting wasn't so bad. It was one of the most memorable weeks of my life. I wouldn't even trade it back for an extra week with my sweet baby - she needed to keep cooking. 

I had 2 non-stress tests that week to make sure she was ok, and each time everything came back beautifully. That Thursday before she was born, the doctor said my time was up. If I wasn't in labor by Saturday  I would come into the hospital at 6pm to be induced. The eviction notice was served.

A year has passed since that week started. Instead of waiting to meet a little baby girl, I'm planning and waiting for her first birthday party. The little baby is thoroughly in the midst of becoming a little toddler. 

I feel like I write this alot on here - but I had NO IDEA how incredible becoming a parent would be. I thought I did, but it was such a teeny tiny sliver of what it actually has been. I'm so excited to countdown this week and celebrate one amazing and successful year for Noelle Madeleine Watkins!!


Me at 40 weeks - I don't think I took a 41 week shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment