Saturday, June 28, 2014

Ask 'em My Questions And Get Some Answers...

Since I have gotten the gift of watching The Little Mermaid more in the last two weeks than maybe I have ever watched it for the entire 25 years since it was originally released, I decided to write about a few little nuances I never noticed before. I'm wondering if anyone else has ever noticed!!

Ariel has this amazing voice, right? She sings 1 song. ONE. I don't really count the reprise of Part of Your World because it is basically the same song. Don't get me wrong, that one song is incredible, but I had never really noticed it was only one.

Right after Ariel sings part of your world and just as she notices the ship passing over her cavern Sebastian tries to talk her out of her nonsense of loving the world of humans and he says "come with me, I will fix you a nice warm cup of...(he then gets cut off)" Warm??? Warm cup of what? And how is Sebastian going to get something warmed up when you are in deep ocean water?

Speaking of Sebastian - I don't think there are any crabs whose heads are actually outside of their shells. I did a quick google image search and I just don't see any real life crabs that have the anatomy of Sebastian.



Max the dog puzzles me. Why do all the other animals talk, but Max the dog cannot talk? Poor dog.

I'm a little annoyed that Grimsby doesn't seem frantically worried that Eric might have died in the shipwreck (where Ariel saves him). He seems like he was walking the beach absolutely expecting to find a surviving Eric. I feel he should have been much more concerned.



During the song Kiss the Girl, I actually think they might kiss. Every. Single. Time. My brain knows that they don't, but my heart seriously thinks that maybe this time Eric will man up and go for it.


And in the end, no matter how many times I watch it, I will get choked up at the end. I've noticed a few weird bits about it, but for the most part I still love this movie - it is definitely in a tying position for my favorite 3 disney movies of all time. Which coincidentally are also Noelle's at the moment. Nemo, Little Mermaid, and Frozen. She has impeccable taste.

And "Part of Your World" update...

Noelle now tries to rein-act Ariel as she is singing it ("flipping" around, lying in the sand, arm movements, etc)

She says "feet" with Ariel...she says "sure" in the "Sure, she's got everything" part. And she also sings "burn" with Ariel when she wonders what a fire is.

And if Noelle is upset in the car but I don't have the song with me, I can just sing it from memory and she is satisfied. Therefore, I AM the Little Mermaid :)

No comments:

Post a Comment