Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The 2 Year Checkup (Or Death Trap)

So today we went for Noelle's 2 year check up. I didn't think much of it because I didn't think we had any shots coming, and we'd been to the doctor plenty and it has never been a big deal. The last time we went to the doctor was in February when she had pink eye, and it wasn't a huge deal. It wasn't awesome, but nothing traumatic.

Something has happened though. Noelle has developed a deep fear of the doctor. All was fine when we walked in, and she thoroughly enjoyed the fish in the waiting area.  But the minute she had to step on that scale all hell broke loose. She immediately started crying, and I don't think she stopped until we left an hour later.


Here's a run down of what we did and my interpretation of how Noelle reacted....

Getting weighed - HOW COULD YOU ASK ME TO STAND ON THIS SCALE??!!!!
Getting height measured - WHY WOULD YOU NEED TO KNOW THIS INFORMATION??!!
Getting head measured - IS THIS SO YOU CAN STEAL MY BRAIN?!?!
Getting eyes checked - THIS MACHINE IS GOING TO STEAL MY SOUL!!!!
Getting ears checked - THE PAIN - YOU'RE PIERCING MY EAR DRUM!!!!
Getting mouth checked - I WILL DIE IF I HAVE TO OPEN MY MOUTH WIDE!!!!!
Reflexes/joints checked - YOU HAVE BROKEN MY LEGS, I KNOW IT, EVEN THOUGH I CAN STILL KICK YOU WITH THEM!!!
Glands checked - Actually, I think the doctor decided to give up on that because Noelle was acting a bit like a possessed demon child.

Please notice, how nothing painful happened during that little run down. But Noelle kept asking, ALL DONE?! ALL DONE?! 


She had held on to me so tight, and I had to restrain her for all of those things to even happen...she was clawing at me trying to escape from our doctor (who is quite possibly the sweetest doctor you could EVER have, I love her...)


THEN the Nurse came in. And we had to get a toe prick to check blood and the last of her Hep A shots.


Let me just say, to hold her leg still to get a prick on her toe was FAR MORE painful to Noelle then when her toe actually pricked. In fact, I think she even calmed down as she got pricked and was just more upset that we were restraining her. The poor nurse was doing everything she could to get a band aid on that foot afterward, and Noelle thought that maybe getting a band aid on your foot meant that she might never walk again.


Then the shot...she was once again, terribly upset at being restrained...crying her head off for sure. But then when she actually GOT the shot, she looked so surprised and just started shouting "OW! OW! OW!!!" It was almost as if she was surprised something had actually caused her pain, because honestly up until that point, nothing actually caused her pain...she was just TERRIFIED.


So, my doctor let me know that 2 year old check ups are the absolute worst. She said next year will be much better. HO-LY COW. I also apologized for my insane child, who I promised was normally the most delightful little girl.


I had told Josh about the appointment and said you can come if you want, but no big deal, don't rearrange your whole schedule for it. Well...I called him afterward and let him know that I am never EVER going to a 2 year old check up appointment alone as a parent. Yikes. Lesson learned.


On a bright note, Noelle is growing just great. At 28 pounds she is in the 67 percentile of weight, and she is 34 inches tall and at the 56 percentile of height...and that little noggin' - well it is still in the 95 percentile! The doctor even said that if she had to guess what height she would end up as an adult it would be 5'4" - which is just an inch taller than me.


I would have snapped a few pics of the trauma so you could see what I was talking about here, but given my description of the events, I think you can see that an extra hand to snap a photo was completely unavailable.  


I think tomorrow will be much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment