Sunday, July 14, 2013

A New Chapter

Alright, I kind of skipped over an important milestone last week.

July 7 was my birthday, and it was the big 3-0.

I honestly didn't skip it on the blog on purpose - I was just busy and didn't get a chance to say anything :). And let's face it - this blog is mostly about Noelle. She is far more exciting than I am!

I will say that it was a truly fantastic birthday. Maybe my best birthday as an adult.

My mom and dad came up to celebrate their baby getting old. And somehow we realized that it had been a full 11 years since they had been with me on actual birthday. So I had extra help on my whole birthday week! That meant getting to be lazy in the mornings, not having to stay up alone when Noelle had sleeping issues, free lawn mowing, free babysitting, and lots of delicious homemade meals that I didn't have to cook. It's like a little vacation without having to go anywhere when Mom and Dad come to town! And Noelle...well Noelle gets undivided attention and gets to have WAY more fun than usual because someone is always there to make sure she is happy and laughing.

Then my fabulous husband went way out of his way to make me feel celebrated and loved for my birthday. He threw a sweet gathering at our home and lots of people I know and love came to celebrate me. He overdid it and had everyone chip in to get me a massage and an ipad mini - an item I had been wanting and avoiding getting all at the same time!

A brief rundown of my big day(s):
-Wimbledon in the morning (even though I didn't watch all of it) where an Englishman finally won after 77 years
-A phenomenal church service taught by the fabulous Helen Musick
-My favorite panera lunch with a few great friends
-A quiet afternoon with the family
-A fun dinner out at Shakespeare and company with the family
-Monday afternoon, I got a little naptime after work
-Monday evening was my party :)

I felt wonderfully celebrated - top to bottom. But the best part was, I didn't need any of it. I have found over the years that my July birthday friends have some sort of odd complex. It's like a birthday complex. When your birthday is smack dab in the middle of summer, you tend not to have huge birthday parties. Most of your friends might not even remember your birthday because they aren't seeing you regularly. This was before facebook so lovingly reminded you of all your friends birthdays. All that to say - there was always a struggle in my heart to feel recognized or celebrated on my birthday. And sometimes there would be an expectation I would put on the day, which sometimes led to disappointment.

This birthday was different though. I was freed up to just enjoy the day, whatever it brought. I had no expectations. It was like Jesus finally convinced me that I am whole and complete and need nothing else to add to that. I knew that for every other day of the year, but somehow it didn't seem true on my birthday. A little backwards, I know. It was probably the best birthday gift I got. It really was a turning of the page, a new chapter.

The past 30 years have been remarkable. I can't believe the life that I have been given to live...I am unbelievably blessed and privileged to live this life. I am so excited for the next chapter too...I think that the 30's and beyond will be amazing.

So thanks for celebrating my birthday - whether it was a text message, facebook post, card, or lavish gift. I am grateful for each and every single friend and family member and for all the love that has been poured into me these past 30 years.


No comments:

Post a Comment