Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Accessory that Ties it All Together

Today, I'm talkin' bout nail polish.

I always enjoyed a good nail painting back in the day. And of course, painted toes in the summer are an absolute must (I am really lazy in the winter though...if I can't see them, I don't care!)

But something happened in the last 1.5 years. I decided I really really liked my nails painted. Somehow it made me feel like I was put together and polished (pun intended) - even with a potential chocolate stain on my shirt from a kiddo or hair messily in a pony tail. I also found that my nails were getting really weak. From constantly washing my hands, changing diapers, giving baths, wiping stuff down, etc... The nails just couldn't handle the pressure of being a mom. But if I had them painted - well they were strong! They could hold up to the job. They reflected my inner strength as a mother!

Now comes the other problem...when you are rough on your hands, how on earth do you get your nail polish to stay on? I'm not paying to get my nails done gel or shellac or whatever every couple weeks. I don't have the time or the money. So began my quest for an at home manicure that could last for more than 8 hours.

I stumbled upon my solution quite by accident. At the beginning of 2014 I wanted to participate in the nude nail polish trend that was everywhere and there was a shade I fell in love with at the grocery store  - Essie "Sand Tropez" - just a perfect neutral nude.  It just so happened to be my first Essie nail polish and I randomly read a review (while contemplating the purchase) about how great their 3 way strengthener/base/top coat was. So I gave it a go and bought that as well.

I was shocked. I got 3 full days no chips...and then just minor chippage and I think I made it to 5 days before I took it off, which is huge for me! I had always loved the OPI colors and names, but the longevity of Essie got me hooked, and I fell hard. Suddenly I NEEDED more. Now, Essie is $8-8.50 a bottle most places...and that adds up quickly! So naturally, I took to eBay and I padded my collection quite a bit. There also was mother's day and my birthday...and then the odd $4 bottle I happened to find at TJ Maxx or Marshalls on occasion.

Here are some of my favorites:
Sand Tropez - so pretty :)
Ballet Slippers - an Essie classic that I just got for by birthday
Meet Me at the Altar - sadly a limited edition wedding collection one, but sooo pretty!
Geranium - it couldn't match a real geranium much better!



I was all excited about my new Essie love affair...but I was kind of bummed about my other nail polishes that I now no longer wanted to use because they didn't make my 3 day minimum rule (I really don't want to paint my nails if I can't get a good 3 days wear out of it).

What is a nail polish loving girl to do?!?

Enter Sephora Formula X "The System." I had read a few random reviews and it had sparked my interest. Then with some extra income I had, I decided to treat myself just a week before my birthday. I am so excited about this system! It is like it turns any nail polish into an "Essie" quality nail polish! It comes with a cleanser, base coat, top coat and you get to pick one polish. But you can use it with any nail polish, and I haven't found a brand it hasn't worked well on yet!  So if you find yourself in the same nail polish boat as myself, go check it out...I doubt you will be disappointed!


No comments:

Post a Comment