Friday, January 13, 2017

The Best Chili I Have Ever Made

So we are on this healthy and clean eating journey. And I am always looking for recipes that comply. I was in a chili mood so I went on the hunt for a good chili that used sweet potatoes.

I found one from this site but I didn't have all the ingredients or I didn't want to use what she was listing. So here's the site that I made my recipe modifications from:

http://www.cottercrunch.com/crock-pot-sweet-potato-chipotle-chili-paleo/

Now here's what I did with that recipe...

Sweet Potato Chili
1 lb lean ground beef (I used 90/10)
2 medium sized sweet potatoes
1 medium sized onion
2 cups chicken broth (organic)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 large handful of fresh spinach (that's how much I had left, you could add more or omit if you want)
1 tsp minced garlic
1-2 tsp of chili powder (depends on the spice level you want, I did 2)
1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
1/4 tsp of black pepper
1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
Salt to taste

I did not make mine in the crockpot though I am sure you could. I just did it all in the pot and it was all done in about 30-45 minutes.

Brown the ground meat on medium heat and cut the sweet potatoes into small chunks. Place the sweet potatoes in a large microwave safe bowl with a little bit of water and microwave for 90 seconds. After the meat has browned you can drain off the fat or leave it depending on how much you have in there (mine was minimal so I left it). Combine the rest of the ingredients into the pot and bring the chili to a boil. After it has been brough to a boil lower it to simmer for 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are nice and soft and flavors have had time to get all tasty in there together.

This was JUST the right amount of spicy for us and so incredibly delicious. I have tried several home made chili recipes, always looking for the perfect one. DONE. SOLD. DROPPING THE MIC.

Normally I have to load up my chili with shredded cheese and lots of corn chips to make it magical. This one was absolutely perfect plain. We both had small second portions and were full and super satisfied. Josh said I was allowed to make it every day, lol. And that is saying something because he is not in love with our current dietary changes!! I say healthy eating isn't as horrible as it sounds or looks sometimes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment