Thursday, February 7, 2013

It ain't easy being green!

It turns out that for the past 13 years, pantone has released a "color of the year".  Did you know that? I didn't know that. Basically, they talk to designers (fashion and home) and figure out what colors they are using most, what people are being drawn to (that elite group on the cutting edge) and then they pick the color for the year.

Now looking back on what those colors have been in past years, I can't say I remember being overly affected or influenced by any of them. (here's the link to the list - http://pantone.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Color_of_the_Year)

But this year...THIS YEAR...the color of the year is - EMERALD. Yes ladies and gents...emerald. Love it.

So what does emerald mean exactly? According to Pantone's website they chose emerald for the following reasons:

"Emerald, a vivid, verdant green, enhances our sense of well-being further by inspiring insight, as well as promoting balance and harmony. Most often associated with brilliant, precious gemstones, the perception of Emerald is sophisticated and luxurious. Since antiquity, this luminous, magnificent hue has been the color of beauty and new life in many cultures and religions. It’s also the color of growth, renewal and prosperity – no other color conveys regeneration more than green. For centuries, many countries have chosen green to represent healing and unity."

So it seems like Pantone is trying to promote a year of healing and growth...good idea I guess. But we all know that declaring a color over the year means nothing. At least I hope you know that!


Now here are the two reasons I am excited about it being the color of the year:
  • Green is my favorite color - and I especially love emerald green
  • Emerald is Noelle's birthstone (and I love her and anything associated with her)

Green has been my fav color since around the age of 14. So we've had 15 (ahem, almost 16) glorious years together. As far as I know, I have only had 3 favorite colors in my life (mom, feel free to correct me.) Those being: pink, yellow, and finally green.  

I always had an appreciation for green...I can recall that it was one of my favorite colors in the crayon box (seafoam to be exact), but my true love of green came when I discovered that my eyes are green and that when I wear green, they really pop. It was probably one of the first things I really loved and appreciated about my appearance.  They especially pop when wearing emerald. So I hope lots of new clothes come out with this color - and luckily I already have some because I love it so much! In fact, just last month my sweet Mama bought me a lovely new pair of emerald green jean leggings!

I also wore a bright green t-shirt for our maternity photos because I love it and I was really convinced it would definitely be Noelle's birthstone. Enjoy a look back from almost a year ago (these were taken last March):


Probably a silly disappointment I have with green is that it is NOT the color Noelle looks best in. A stupid thing to be disappointed by, but true nonetheless. There are some greens she looks good in - but dang the girl looks amazing in red and purple and blue (see the red below)...but not so much green. I guess somewhere in my heart I thought we would both look amazing in green together, but alas - I will look amazing in green alone.


So cheers to an emerald green year everyone - I challenge you to add a little green to your life...specifically EMERALD!

No comments:

Post a Comment